The association « Vivons Notre Village-Montory » invites you to visit
Montory general view
PERSONAL SITE NEITHER OFFICIAL NOR COMMERCIAL
An old “Bourg Royal” The province called “Soule” is not so well-known as the rest of the Basque Country. Being and isolated valley as well
as a country of traditions, it as preserved its riches which visitors will be able to discover now. MONTORY is located on the border of the “Bearn” province.
In the past it suffered from wars between local lords. From the middles ages to the eighteenth century it had the title of “Bourg Royal”. The oldest remnants are
the church and the house opposite the fountain which dates back to the sixteenth century.
The 12th century church is remarkable for its paintings and the height of its vault. A stone staircase leads to a gallery which used to be reserved for
men, according to the habit in Basques churches. The 20th century stained – glass windows recall traditional local activities (a shepherd and sheep).
Church Stained glass Painting House of the fountain
King Henry II ’s wife came to Montory in
one her visits to the French provinces. Her
coat of arms can be seen above the main entrance of the Church of Montory. of Montory.
Alienor of Aquitaine, King Henry II ’s wife came to Montory in one her
visits to the French provinces. Her coat of arms can be seen above the main
entrance of the Church of Montory.
The ancient houses are prettified with a stone engraved in the name of the owner and a drawings
-BAKERY, GROCER’S SHOP, Storehouse of Gas
- Le rucher des marmottes miels, pollens.
EXCURSIONS AND LEISURE FACILITIES :
- A hike round Erretzü (level 3) offers a good view of the valley. A map of the signposted footpaths is available at the Tourist Office in
Mauléon and Tardets.
The Arguibel Rock : you can go climbing and catch sight of EgyptianVultures in their protected area.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS please contact The SOULE TOURIST BOARD:
- Office in Tardets: ' 33 05 59 28 51 28
- Office in Mauléon: ' 33 05 59 28 02 37
- Our Internet address : www.soule-xiberoa.fr
TRIPS IN THE SURROUNDINGS :
- VILLAGES: some of the Churches have got Trinitarian bell towers...
- SAINTE ENGRÂCE with its famous Romanesque style Church...
- “Chez Primus” in the village of Lacarry is a restaurant, a bar and Tobacconist’s where you can a snack at any time.
AFTER YOUR VISIT YOU CAN GO THE BASQUE COAST IN SUMMER
IN WINTER YOU CAN GO:
DOWNHILL SKIING at
- CROSS COUNTRY SKIING at Iraty
To take advantages of the Basque Country, scan the mamontagnebasque.com qrcode with your smartphone or tablet :
THE SKIING RESORTS ARE